5 Amazing New Features in VMware View 5
VMworld this year is all about the number 5. vSphere 5 is the latest platform from VMware and in keeping with their generational numbering scheme, VMware’s View 5 is the latest desktop virtualization offering from the leading virtualization technology company. So in keeping with VMware’s pace, I wanted to take a moment to highlight what I think are the 5 most important new features in the View 5 suite:
1. PCoIP delivered over as little as 40kbps. Given that today you need roughly 200kbps to maintain a View desktop session, this is huge for organizations looking to extend managed virtual desktop services to small branch offices over very little bandwidth.
2. View Media Services. In a nutshell, VMS delivers high fidelity 3D graphics and audio support for virtual desktops. This enables features like Windows Aero, streaming video AND audio (think VOIP), and graphics processing offload and buffering through the Virtual Desktop’s ESXi host server.
3. View Personna Management. This is effectively roaming profiles, without having to set up traditional roaming profiles. Now natively supported and configured from within the View Administrator portal, Personna Management enables you to configure, control, retain, and deliver User Data across virtual desktops.
4. View Client for Android. Not exclusive to only Apple tablets any longer, the View Client is available for download through the Android Market and fully supported on Honeycomb-based tablet devices.
5. Day 1 vSphere 5 Support. Unlink previous releases, View 5 has been built to support and take full advantage of VMware’s latest platform – vSphere 5 from day 1.
Stay tuned for more information on View 5 as we’ll look to post up articles on everything from green field implementation to migration from existing vSphere / View deployments.