After months of running the vSphere 5.1 appliance in my lab, I decided to install the 5.5 appliance to see just how far this little gem has come. So, I downloaded and deployed the OVA, and moved onto initial configuration. After the initial configuration was completed, I decided to tweak some values in the interface. First and foremost - the DHCP configuration had to go. Followed by setting the host FQDN, which was strangely omitted from the initial configuration. This made running AD authentication a little difficult since AD integration requires that the appliance have an FQDN before it will accept the configuration.